To apply for an IIP, please follow the steps listed below. IIP has existing partnerships with the organizations listed on our website, so it is important that you do NOT fill out applications you find directly on organizations’ websites.
To qualify for an IIP, you must be enrolled as a full-time Princeton first, second, or third- year student during the summer of your internship. Transfer students are also eligible to apply for an IIP.
The IIP application for summer 2024 will open Friday, October 6.
The deadline to submit an IIP application for summer 2024 is Monday, December 4th at 3pm.
Step 1: Explore internships
- Attend an IIP information session where you can connect with an IIP Ambassador and meet with an IIP adviser.
- Meet with an IIP adviser (strongly encouraged).
- Browse the list of internships available on the IIP website. Be sure to review the job descriptions carefully to make sure you meet the qualifications required by the employer. Review the IIP start and end dates to ensure there is no conflict with summer dates.
- Review the IIP Financial Award tab to understand the IIP award that you will receive to cover your expenses while abroad.
- Read evaluations from previous interns.
- Identify the top IIPs where you would like to apply for your internship. For students who are not able to travel, we offer the opportunity to apply for a remote IIP.
Step 2: Prepare application materials
- Create or update your resume. Visit the Center for Career Development or the Writing Center websites for help with writing resumes.
- Prepare a one-page, single-spaced Cover Letter for EACH internship to which you are applying. For more information about the cover letter, visit the IIP Application FAQs. All resumes and cover letters should be in English unless otherwise specified.
- Obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript from TigerHub. First year students can use their transcript without the final grades for the term.
- Some IIPs require a writing sample or letters of recommendation. Review the required materials in GPS before submitting your application.
IIP requires information for two references. Some employers may need additional references when reviewing your application. One reference should be an academic contact, while the other can be a work supervisor, coach, mentor, or high school teacher. Consider who you may want to ask to be your references and let them know beforehand to expect a call/email.
Step 3: Apply to your selected internships
- Students may apply to up to TWO IIPs
- Students should open up one application for each IIP they plan to apply to in GPS by clicking the link for the internship on our Search Internships webpage.
- Pay close attention to the IIP start and end dates since these may be non-negotiable for cohort programs.
- Make sure you review and submit before the deadline, December 4 at 3 pm.
Need help using our Global Programs System?
Please visit our GPS help site.