To apply to the International Internship Program (IIP), please follow the steps listed below. IIP has existing partnerships with the companies and organizations listed on our website, so it is important that you do NOT fill out applications you find directly on their websites.
To qualify for an IIP, you must be enrolled as full-time Princeton first-year, sophomore, or junior during the summer of your internship.
- The IIP application for summer 2022 will open on Monday, November 1. The application deadline is Monday, December 6.
Step 1: Explore internships
- Browse the list of internships available on the IIP website. Please take note of the internship format (in-country, remote, etc.) on the GPS application brochure. Be sure to review the job descriptions carefully to make sure you meet the qualifications required by the employer.
- Attend an IIP information session or meet with an IIP Ambassador.
- Read evaluations from previous interns.
- Identify the top three organizations where you would like to apply for your internship. We encourage all students to apply to at least one remote IIP placement and / or have a fully remote back-up plan for your summer internship.
- Meet with an IIP adviser (optional, but strongly encouraged) and complete a pre-advising form before the meeting.
Step 2: Prepare application materials
- Create or update your resume. Visit the Center for Career Development website for help with writing resumes.
- Prepare a one-page, single-spaced cover letter for EACH internship to which you are applying. For more information about the cover letter, visit the IIP Application FAQs. All resumes and cover letters should be in English unless otherwise specified.
- Obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript from TigerHub. First year students can use their transcript without the final grades for the term.
IIP requires information for two references but you will not need to include this in your application materials. Some employers may need additional references when reviewing your application. We would like for you to have readily available the names of two people whom we can call upon should we need additional information about your academic and/or extracurricular background and will request them from you at the appropriate time.
One reference should be an academic contact, while the other can be a work supervisor, coach, mentor, or high school teacher. Consider who you may want to ask to be your references and let them know beforehand to expect a call/email. The IIP office will contact you directly if we need to reach out to your reference(s).
Step 3: Apply to your selected internships
- Students can apply for up to THREE internship placements. We encourage all students to apply to at least one remote IIP placement and / or have a fully remote back-up plan for your summer internship. Click the link below your selected internship on the IIP website to apply. You will be directed to the Global Programs System (GPS) application.
- Please complete all required documents and questionnaires in the GPS application. Note: Once you have completed the “IIP General Application” questionnaire in your first choice application, you can copy your responses to additional program applications. To do so, open the questionnaire in the next application and select the internship from which you would like to load your responses.
Need helping using our Global Programs System?
Please visit our GPS help site.