To apply to the International Internship Program (IIP), please follow the steps listed below. IIP has existing partnerships with the organizations listed on our website, so it is important that you do NOT fill out applications you find directly on organizations’ websites.
To qualify for an IIP, you must be enrolled as full-time Princeton first-year, sophomore, or junior during the summer of your internship. Transfer students are also eligible to apply for an IIP.
- The IIP application for summer 2023 will open on Tuesday, November 1.
IIP program deadlines are based on employer and international partner timelines. Please check on the GPS brochures for the deadline of the IIP you are applying to.
- Application I deadline: Monday, December 12, 3:00 PM.
- Application II deadline: Monday, January 16, 3:00 PM.
Step 1: Explore internships
- Browse the list of internships available on the IIP website. Please take note of the internship format (in-country, remote, etc.) on the GPS application brochure. Be sure to review the job descriptions carefully to make sure you meet the qualifications required by the employer. Review the IIP start and end dates to ensure there is no conflict with summer dates.
- Attend an IIP information session where you can connect with an IIP Ambassador and meet with an IIP adviser.
- Read evaluations from previous interns.
- Identify the top IIPs where you would like to apply for your internship. For students who are not able to travel, we offer the opportunity to apply for a remote IIP.
- Meet with an IIP adviser (but strongly encouraged) and complete a pre-advising form before the meeting.
Step 2: Prepare application materials
- Create or update your resume. Visit the Center for Career Development or the Writing Center websites for help with writing resumes.
- Prepare a one-page, single-spaced statement of interest for EACH internship to which you are applying. For more information about the statement of interest, visit the IIP Application FAQs. All resumes and statements of interest should be in English unless otherwise specified.
- Obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript from TigerHub. First year students can use their transcript without the final grades for the term.
IIP requires information for two references. Some employers may need additional references when reviewing your application.
One reference should be an academic contact, while the other can be a work supervisor, coach, mentor, or high school teacher. Consider who you may want to ask to be your references and let them know beforehand to expect a call/email. The IIP office will contact you directly if we need to reach out to your reference(s).
Step 3: Apply to your selected internships
- Students should open up ONE application in GPS by clicking the link below your selected internship on the IIP website. You will be able to indicate your second or alternate choice IIP, if any, in the application.
- Pay close attention to the IIP start and date end dates since these may be non-negotiable for cohort programs.
- Make sure you review the deadline for the IIP you are applying to. There are two rounds of applications so you will have the ability to apply based on the timeline listed on GPS.
Need help using our Global Programs System?
Please visit our GPS help site.