Students accepted to an IIP receive a financial award to help cover expected costs of living in their host country.
More information is available on the GPS Brochure based on the IIP the student is considering.
Determining the Award
Please note: the IIP award description listed below is for in-country internships only. For remote internships, the IIP award will be determined based on student’s summer financial need.
Internship award amounts are based on historical data and statistical analysis in each location. IIP considers the essential cost of living for each internship city and country where students reside for the duration of their internship.
- For students on financial aid, the IIP award is estimated to cover airfare (roundtrip from Newark), travel to and from the airport, housing and meals, and local transportation to and from work.
- For students who are not on financial aid, the IIP award is estimated to cover travel to and from the airport, housing and meals, and local transportation to and from work.
All students, regardless of financial aid status, can seek additional funds through the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE) to cover the cost of immunizations, and visas (if necessary). Additionally, students who are not on financial aid can search for additional funding for airfare costs from sponsoring departments. If you apply for or receive funding from any other source at Princeton, you MUST inform the IIP office.
Senior thesis funding
While students may use their IIP for Senior Thesis, an IIP award cannot be combined with their Senior Thesis funding. The students’ IIP award will be adjusted based on Senior Thesis funding.
Receiving the IIP Award
In order to receive the IIP award funds, students must complete the following action items:
- Set up direct deposit via TigerHub.
- Carefully read and complete all Post-Decision requirements listed in the IIP Global Programs System (GPS) application.
- Accept the award offer, and all terms and conditions, in the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE).
Once all of the required steps are completed, IIP will process the award. Payment will be received as a direct deposit. In the event that direct deposit is not set up, students will receive a notification to pick up a check from the Office of Finance and Treasury.
All IIP awards are considered nonqualified student funding and may be taxable on your personal tax return. For more information, visit the Office of Finance and Treasury website.